2017 Hawaii Travel Fellowship
2017 Travel Fellowships for Teachers from Hawaii
Thanks to the generosity of the Beatrice M.H. Young Foundation from Hawaii, we are pleased to again offer four $1500 travel fellowships for middle school or high school teachers from Hawaii to attend our 2017 Teachers Workshop.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2017. Winners notified by: July 5, 2017.
- Applicant is currently a middle or high school teacher teaching at a public, parochial, or independent school in Hawaii at the 6th‐12th grade level.
- Applicant has been teaching or intends to teach modern China in his/her school.
- Applicant teaches subjects such as World History, American History, Asian Studies, Mandarin or other Asian Languages, or other Social Studies areas.
How to Apply:
- Fill out the 2017 Teachers Workshop Application. On this application, after selecting Hawaii as the state of your school, fill in the “Reasons for applying for the Hawaiian Fellowship”. Deadline for application is June 30, 2017. Winners will be notified on or before July 5, 2017.
- Have the head of your school or another senior administrator write an e‐mail to email@example.com endorsing your application. This endorsements must be received by June 30, 2017.
Note: If you do not apply and have your school’s endorsement in by June 30, 2017, you can still attend, but you will only receive the $400 stipend for out-of-state teachers.
To receive the fellowship, you must meet the following obligations (of all Workshop attendees):
- Attend and participate actively in all sessions of the Workshop on both days.
- Submit exit evaluations for both days.
- Submit a “follow-up action plan” on how to integrate the teaching of some aspect of modern China, covered in any of our workshops from 2013, into their normal curriculum.
In Addtion, fellowship recipients are asked to submit one or more examples of how the Workshop materials have been used in their classrooms by the end of the following school year (June 2018). This would include a lesson plan, student assignments, students’ work, and other materials. Quality submissions are eligible to receive additional monetary awards.
How the Fellowship Is Administered:
- Fellowship recipients make their own travel arrangements such as air transportation, hotels, ground transfers and meals (note: continental breakfast and lunch are provided by the Workshop).
- The 1990 Institute can provide assistance on information about the Bay Area and recommendations for nearby hotels, etc., but is not responsible for the travel arrangements of the fellowship recipients.
- Of the $1500 Fellowship Grants, $1200 will be given out on July 27, 2017, the second day of the Workshop. The additional $300 will be mailed to the recipient after he/she has completed all the obligations (stated above) for receiving the fellowship.
- Should the fellowship recipient wishes to receive the SFSU CEU credit, the SFSU registration fee will be deducted from the last $ 300.
- Recipients of this fellowship do not receive the $200-$400 stipend that is given to teachers from the continental U.S.
Any questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.